It’s been three days
since I’ve been back from Sabah but I still can’t find the right words and
feelings to recount this story. Still can’t.
It was great bonding
time for me as a fairly new addition to the church choir. What with rooming
with a crazy girl I never had a proper conversation with ever before prior to
the trip, and being the eldest in my group apart from the two group leaders,
being the pianist and thus not really belonging to any section… my role was
vastly different from what I was used to.
I must say that having
a fairly large church, with an active youth service, and numerous church
choirs, is a great blessing. The church we visited had neither a large building
nor a large congregation… Then again, quantity is definitely not the only benchmark
by which good or bad is measured, and I think the people there are also very
warm and earnest people.
The choir is really not
bad, and if we really do put our heart and soul in it, we can perform quite
decently. And I guess the setting has something to do with it, that I felt less
pressure there, even though that was more the ‘real’ thing compared to the
previous performance on home ground. I guess I didn’t play too poorly either?
Heh.
Banana boating is fun!
I was a little scared at the prospect of it at first, but after the first
capsize, I was quite welcoming for the next try. And the next. And the next.
And this is from someone who has never dared step into the queue for a roller
coaster in a theme park. I also got to kayak for the second (and third) time in
my life. I went on two goes, and it is distinctly unlike OBS because there was
no destination, no fleet to follow and keep with, hence and also less crowded, and
there were minimal waves unless the speed boat sped by with the banana boat.
Scenery was much nicer, it was calming to sing randomly with my kayaking
partner… but I got mildly sunburnt. And much tanner.
Our flight back was
delayed for 3 plus hours, resulting in extra fellowship session in the airport
departure hall the whole afternoon. God’s timing was great, though, as the
storm only started right when we stepped into the airport. The winds started howling
and the trees were bent like an old hunched man. I got reacquainted with
Monopoly Deal (I only ever played once before) and nearly won two rounds but
didn’t.
Home, almost 5 hours
after the scheduled landing time… conked out.
CCA the past two days
have been slightly more alive than usual. I really think the musical songs are
quite interesting, like the harmonies and how the composer weaves in the
different motifs together from different pieces into another piece… and first
time hearing strings, band and CO playing altogether, quite a feat huh. I pity
the people having rehearsals everyday under the sun though… jiayous guys.