Christmas is the day we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. It is NOT Jesus’ birthday.
It is also not just a day for people to exchange gifts, of which the practice is gradually losing its meaning. The tradition of exchanging gifts stemmed from the gifts the wise men gave the infant Jesus. We give because the birth of Jesus gave us so much to be joyful for, hence we should also give and share. Please do not let it become a case of “What do you want for Christmas? I’ll get it for you. (Or read: I’ll do your shopping for you and you’ll do mine for me)”
It is not just a day for feasting and partying, although it is always a great way to celebrate this holiday (holy day) with friends and loved ones.
For some, today is X’mas. For Christians, it is CHRISTmas. There IS a difference. For me, I have no idea where X’mas came from, and what the X could mean. The cross of the ribbon on the neatly wrapped presents? The intertwining of the wires of sparkling lights? X-men?! As for Christmas, it is clearly in the name that the reason for the season is Christ.
One more thing!
It is amazing how I hardly get texts on other days, but today, it seems that some people can’t NOT spread the joy by sending others their well wishes. It may be a simple action, but do also appreciate every one of this little messages.
I say this because my grandmother called today. My mom’s mom was a non-Christian for her whole life, until this year when she started attending church. I don’t know if she has actually accepted Christ, but she has never once called just to wish my mom ‘Merry Christmas’. My mom lived about 50 years of her life without ever receiving a Christmas wish from her mom, but today, her mom wished her Merry Christmas for the first time in her life. I’ll say, that is God’s great doing, and my mom’s greatest Christmas present this year.
Have a great Christmas, everybody!