Disclaimer: The following is a thousand-over word long post, but it is because God has touched me to share what I feel. I hope I can accurately convey the mood and tone of the camp, and all that I have experienced. If you develop an adverse reaction to reading long posts, or to God-related posts, please skip it. But please, tell me if that is so, and I will pray for you for God to change your pecerption.
People say
time flies when you’re having fun, but seriously, the past 5 days seemed all
too long. I’m not saying there wasn’t any fun, but then, it wasn’t JUST fun.
Camps are usually a time when people bond over stuff like games and they get
high and scream at everything. But this camp, it is exceptional because it
showed us that people can bond in more meaningful ways other than games,
especially when that bond is provided and bound by God.
From the
start, it was emphasized that this camp was not going to be the run-of-the-mill
camp. Even compared to our past church youth camps, this one was going to be
different. It was going to bring out a serious message, and it was not a time to
fool around. At first, all of us in the committee were apprehensive. We were
afraid people would be put off and not want to attend this camp. We were afraid
the message wouldn’t get through. We were afraid, but we prayed fervently, and
we trusted God would help us make this camp go the way He wanted it to.
I like to
think of this journey not merely starting 5 days ago and ending yesterday. I’d
like to think of this journey as being sincerely undertaken 8-9 months ago when I joined the camp committee, and
still carrying on. I’d like to think of this journey not merely being me alone
growing in my faith, but rather, with me along with my friends growing and experiencing
God personally more as the days wear on.
When I first
received the calling to serve in the committee, I couldn’t say I was totally
ready. I never knew what I was actually in for, but I knew it would take months
of commitment, which meant good time-management. I was thinking of it in rather
earthly terms, what with school to juggle with, and other stuff like piano lessons. I just thought it a good way to
serve, not knowing what serving really meant. But it is God’s calling that I
take up this role, to be a small part of this spectacular miracle He has been
showing us.
Although
this camp was supposed to have taught us the fundamentals of evangelism, I
believe God has also truly showed all of us who was attended, that prayer is a
very strong tool we possess. It is a privilege God has given all of us, because
it is by His grace that we can communicate directly with Him, thank Him for all
He has provided us with, and seek help and direction in times of need.
It is hard
to describe exactly what happened, but it was real that all of us have grown
spiritually, whether by a lot or a little. Even those who started out not
knowing what they were at this camp for, for those who were only looking for
fun and nothing else, I’m sure that after this camp, they would have seen that
there is more to it than there is.
As for the
2 younger ones in my group who started out seeking only enjoyment and
entertainment from this camp, my group leader and daoshi (mentor) were really very
stressed and worried for them. Within the first day and a bit of the 2nd,
they were bored out of their wits. It wasn’t yet in them to listen to two
sermons a day of 2 hour-long duration. They didn’t yet understand many things,
and they were not making much effort to bond or to share. So we would pray a
lot, not just for them but also for the whole camp which had started off sluggish, a little off-focus, and for the people who were getting really tired after working so hard for the camp. The comm even set aside one whole breakfast time to specially pray in groups,
linking hands. I must day that God really answered our prayers. Even though I
don’t know how much exactly the two girls took away from the camp in the end, I was sure that that
they have changed their perspective of this camp. At least, that is a step in
their faith, one more step for their journey ahead. On the last night, I was
quite touched, when they said abashedly after prolonged hesitation, at the
campfire night sharing: “It’s very fun.” (despite ‘fun’ not being the main
point of this camp.)
It touched
me even more so as they, being only twelve, dared to share that one little
sentence in front of the whole camp that night. I didn’t even hold the mike to
consider. I just passed the mike on. Indeed, I felt a little bad, but I guess
that is where I need God to help me. During this camp, many people have shared
their personal experiences of God. Many of those included some very tumultuous
times in their lives, when they were absolutely dejected, depressed or
distressed, when God picked them up and led them on again. Never mind that some
of us are only 13, 14 years old.
I may not
have undergone extremely saddening experiences (compared to some others), but I know that I have had some
hard times too and I know that God was with me throughout those times. The
thing is, I am afraid to share. Especially verbally. I’m not a good talker, I am
not confident, and some things, I am just not comfortable sharing. I am afraid
to pour out everything I think, because that would make me cry. Many who share
during camp have teared, sobbed and broken down, and we all understand, yet I
still cannot bring myself to be completely honest in front of others. That is
why I am typing this right here, right now. Hiding behind this computer screen.
This is my way of sharing what I have learnt throughout this journey. And I
tell you, even as this is not a complete account of the whole camp and the
planning process and whatnot, it is an honest reflection of what I think.
There are
many I’d like to thank, for making this camp so awesome, but of course God is
the first and most important one I need to be thankful for. Without Him, I dare say this
could have been the worst camp ever. The first day was really quite ‘sian’,
even if it was the only day with games! (which shows that games are not
everything!)
Dear Lord,
I really thank You for this great thing You have showed all of us – the power
of prayer. I thank You for making this camp a success, showing us that You are
indeed, listening to our cries. Thank You also for all the good friends You
have provided, and brought to this camp with me. They have been good pillars of
support, trustable confidantes, fun-loving, and also very willing to share. I
thank You for the daoshis and leaders, that You have provided them with the
wisdom to lead us all in this camp, to aid us in growing. I thank You for giving me enough energy to
sustain myself through the 5 days, and the past months. It is by Your power
that I managed to churn out all the meeting minutes, prepare the angel mortal
thingy, get the thank-you card… I am an early sleeper yet I survived by
sleeping in the wee hours of the morning for the past 5 days, even sleeping at
5 am yesterday! There are so many things to thank You for, and I really don’t
think I can think of everything worth being thankful for, but I still thank
You, for everything! I pray that You would help us to remember the things we
have learnt and experienced throughout this camp. I hope You would help us to
be a testimony to the friends who weren’t with us, to tell them of You great
doing. I pray that this camp will really spark off something even greater, that
You will touch us to go out and spread the word. I pray that You will show me
the way You want me to go next, and help me to trust in You, Lord, and to never
stop praying. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.