here.
Sunday, July 17, 2011
Sydney vs. FOA
WARNING: MONSTER POST COMING UP.

I know; the termination of my hiatus from blogging is waayyy overdue.
Anyway, I’ve been back from Australia, Sydney, for 2 weeks now, and one good advice I can give you is, when travelling to a Western country, or even Australia, do not make your last meal before you leave home be beef steak.
I’m serious! As you can guess, my last meal at home that Sunday was beef steak, and my first lunch at Sydney turned out to be a beef burger, my second lunch was lasagna, which, you guessed it, contained none other than beef. I shan’t continue with the rest of my diet throughout the trip, but I think you see what I mean.
Well, but beef is kinda good, and due to some coincidence, I just had beef steak for lunch. Yes, I know.

About the trip, I really wish I could narrate some adrenaline pumping, exhilarating performances there for you, much like the one I did previously in April. However, that is not possible, because I don’t think it was really adrenaline filled nor exhilarating.
The performances there were a mix of sometimes fatigue, sometimes composed, sometimes enjoyable. They didn’t make my heart race, but they made our hearts and minds connect as we reassured one another through what I must call telepathy. It was magical, how we scraped through the performances with no proper rehearsals during the trip itself, and sometimes no soundcheck at all.
The most magical one had to be the night at the Opera House, where my cousin and uncle unexpectedly turned up to watch. It was our first and only time there, and we had never stepped on the stage once before the actual thing. But without even knowing which side of the stage we were entering from, we strutted up there and showed the world (okay, showed the fraction of Australia that were there) our stuff. Although some of us had the nerves, it was the most relaxed yet decent performance we ever displayed as a whole.
Sydney is awesome, and so was our tour guide. The people there really know how to party. Blue mountains was breathtaking, and Paddy’s Market was definitely the place to shop for bargains, in a city like Sydney.


Fast forwarding to the recent weeks, school is the same as ever. Homework. Well, we got new lockers though, those little square kinds installed along the wall in our classrooms. Mine is purple and it’s right beside my seat. Awesome. (Why am I so randomly enthusiastic?)
I got a few new/relief teachers as well. 2, to be exact. It wasn’t as bad as Mathea depicted in her sms I received the minute I touched down from Australia (it was a several phone-pages long, and consisted of homework I missed and happenings in school), but I’m sure I like my original teachers better.
And then, as if I hadn’t missed enough lessons from the week away, FOA just HAD to come a-knocking and knock me off lessons again for rehearsals. So, FOA was yesterday, and I got a total of 4 lovely flowers. 3 roses were from my mom. Serves me right for having been in a music class! Most of my close friends in my current class are also in performaning arts groups… oh well.
I think comparing yesterday’s performances to those in Sydney, yesterday’s packed a whole lot more of punch. I guess a smaller group is easier to handle in terms of expression and coordination, but a big group has more energy and so, volume and space for variation.
Either way, I love NYCO, and I’ll really miss our seniors when they graduate soon… I don’t know how we’re gonna survive, with our batch being the utmost seniors next year. But somehow, we’ll make it through.
“There can be miracles, when you believe.
No hope is frail; it’s hard to kill.
Who knows what miracles you can achieve?
When you believe, somehow you will.
You will when you believe.”