"I remember black skies, the lightning all around me. I remember each flash, as time began to blur..."
As it started to pour on this wet New Year's Day, my mp3 player, which I was listening to this afternoon, threw me the song New Divide. How aptly chosen, my dear shuffle, as today marks the start of a new year, but really, it is just another day.In fact, my mom was just telling me yesterday, how she felt New Year's Day and its eve is not really celebrated by people like us (my family, at least), as we put more emphasis on Chinese New Year instead. To us, the first of January is just like any other day. There's nothing extra special to celebrate, is there? Christmas has a meaning of the birth of Jesus Christ, Mother's Day commorate mothers, and well, the Lunar New Year is closer to the heart for people of my race, along with lots of great food and customs unique to the special days. (Yes, CNY even has 2 official public holidays, compared to the New Year's lone day camouflaged in the midst of the school holidays.) What about New Year? Simply put, and all I can say about it, is that it marks the end of a year and the start of a new one. No big deal, right?I don't know. Somebody, enlighten me with the true meaning of New Year, please.Well, that's New Year for me. I think my most memorable New Year ('s eve) has to be last year's. I was supposed to do the countdown with Leanne and Yvonne at L's house, but Yvonne was too tired or something, so she went home first. I was dead beat too, and I almost fell asleep at Leanne's house. At the last minute (almost literally) I gave in to fatigue and decided to head home, and as I was on my way home I saw groups of people at the playground partying and counting down. I could hear all the shouts of "3...2...1... HAPPY NEW YEAR!" as I opened my house door. I found my mom at home watching the countdown on television, so I joined her. Strangely, I sat there and watched for quite a while before I finally went to bed. That year, I really felt the celebratory mood. This year, I guess things are a bit different, and I didn't even have energy to stay up for the countdown.Happy New Year people :D