What's wrong with him?
I thought he was just stressed about work, as he usually is when he comes home with that frown like a grumpy old man.
Usually when he comes home, he would greet me cheerfully, sometimes even whistling. But yesterday, the first sentence he said to me was, "Eliana, don't watch TV. That show teach people rubbish, don't watch. Go and study better. Your duty is to go and study, you go and study, don't waste time learning how to scream and cheat people."
My heart skipped a beat, but outwardly, i showed no sign of opposing. I merely nodded slightly to acknowledge him. I, however, begged to differ.
Yes, i agree that television shows nowadays are getting increasingly corrupt. Not only are the violent scenes increasing, there are more obscene suggestions, and more immoral acts. Everyday, I watch ai with my mom while having dinner. That show is filled with cheat and decieve. How on earth does it show love? That was what my dad said. But look at it in another perpective, will you?
Watching television is a form of relaxation. Besides, i am not a 5 year old kid anymore. Despite the bad influences of television, i think that i am mature enough to know what is right and wrong, at least in ai. My dad suggested a whole list of activities to do other than watch TV, and one of them was to read storybooks. And aren't drama serials just an dramatised version of the paperbacks and hardcovers? Don't drama serials come from stories as well? Are you saying that story books, with a whole array of genres, are not in the least bit corrupt?
I was brave enough to voice out that one point in retaliation, and my dad resignedly tried to refute it by telling me not to read the stories about decieve and lies, and pointless romance. So are you saying, that i can only read fairy tales? No, not even that, because even fairy tales contain lies. They contain the romance of prince charming and (whats her name). For goodness sake, this world is filled with lies! This world is filled with "so-called love" as well. Not watching drama serials can't stop this world from becoming worse. Not watching drama serials can't stop other forms of communications from corrupting my mind, if i succumb to them at all.
Another thing to note, my dad kept emphasising that, by heeding his advice, I would not go wrong. Yeah, right. So he wants me to be a nerd and study all my life. Get a life! He may be anti-drama serials, but did he study? Is he that successful in life? Is he saying that I can't have a life outside school? Is his interpretation of life merely doing our duties? Furthermore, most of my classmates are way worse than me. They sleep at 3am, because they stay up to read FAN FICS. Compared to me, I am very disciplined. I am proud to say that the past week, I have been studying when i get home, and only watching TV for 2 hours (7-8, 9-10. Its not even in one whole sitting!) a day.
I don't care. I am going to watch The Family Court on xinmsn.
And don't get the wrong idea. My dad is a nice guy. He's just turning into a sarcastic philosphist in times of stress. I don't know what's gotten into him. He's still my dad.
people change and promises are broken,
clouds can move and skies will be wide open.
don't forget to take a breath.